In doing personal injury law, I find that most people don't actually know what to do when they get in an accident. I have put together the ten things you should do to best preserve your case and put yourself in the best position for a positive recovery.
1) Report the accident to the Police, as a police report will aid your case and help show that the accident was not your fault. Also get names and numbers of any witnesses to the accident.
2) Immediately obtain medical treatment if you are injured. By this, I mean go to the ER if necessary or call me and I can have you in to see a doctor that day or the following morning. Failure to obtain immediate medical treatment within a reasonable time period diminishes your claim that you suffered injuries as a result of the accident. Make no statements that you are not injured, as many times you don't know for several days following the accident.
3) Take pictures of damages to any cars/property involved - before any repairs or improvements are made.
4) Take pictures of your injuries immediately. Pictures can more easily and accurately describe injuries.
5) Do NOT make a statement to any insurance representative without consulting me first. Those statements may be used against you in your attempt to obtain full compensation for your injuries.
7) Keep a list of all doctors, hospitals, and treatment centers you visit.
8) Keep a log of all work lost as a result of your injuries and treatments. Lost wages are recoverable and can be a large amount of your recovery.
9) Keep a log of all other out-of-pocket expenses (rental car, medical treatment co-pays, etc.). Keep a journal of how your life was specifically affected as a result of your injuries, including personal engagements and missed events.
10) Call and come in for a free consultation ASAP, so that we can get you on the right track to recovery and for the most compensation for your injuries and losses.